Beauty by Robin McKinley is a retelling of the fairy tale “Beauty and the Beast” (one of my favorites, as you can see by this post…). I have to admit I haven’t read it in a while, but while I was scanning for books for the A to Z challenge on my bookshelf, I found this one for the letter B. I toyed with re-reading Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson for the challenge, but I am already planning on doing a different book by her, so I chose this one instead to write about a genre of books I really enjoy.
I had a phase where I read and bought a lot of adapted fairy tale books, including this one and Spindle’s End, also by Robin McKinley. Other versions of fairy tales on my shelf right now are:
- Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (I bought this way before the movie came out)
- Spinners by Donna Jo Napoli and Richard Tchen
- Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia C. Wrede (more on her later)
Recent fairy tale retellings that I’ve read (borrowed from the library, so I don’t have physical copies):
- The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale (which I just realized was not on my recently read books list! But the whole series is really good)
- A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
There are also tons of books I love that mention different fairy tales, but aren’t exactly based on them. There are too many to list, and I can’t remember them all even if I tried, but some might just show up later this month.😉 I grew up reading and listening to fairy tales in English, Chinese, and Taiwanese, and I still love discovering new retellings of them.
Any of the books on this list would be great for girls (and boys!) who love fairy tales.
This post is my Blogging from A to Z entry for the letter B.